Cyclette are a bicycle fashion house based in Sydney and they have crafted a rain cape.
We tested out their Pursuit Poncho in Melbourne’s Spring rains, here’s what we discovered on the ride.
1. Cool Colour – A red cape is perfect for staying bright on a cloudy day and it looks hot!
2. Medium Weight Fabric – Cyclette’s Poncho uses a mid-weight waterproof fabric which makes it a little bulky when folded and heavier than the Cleverhood cape.
3. Peaked Hood – the shaping of the hood is superbe. It fits snuggly to your head, has draw cords to keep it in place, and has a peak which helps keep the rain away.
4. Long Back – the length of the cape at the back is perfect for covering your seat while you are on and off your bike.
The Pursuit Poncho comes in under perfect in a three areas that are essential to make the bicycle-babe “best” rain cape grade.
1. Thumb Loops – the Pursuit Poncho has thumb loops, but they are in the arm holes and not under the front of the cape which means the cape can’t be drawn over the handelbars. The result on our test ride was wet gloves, knees and shoes.
This can be remedied if you wear waterproof pants and gumboots, and we LOVE gumboots so who’s complaining!
2. Collar Design – the cape has an unusual ‘snap-button’ collar which closes under the chin. It leaves the chin free to move, but it also allows water in.
We’re a fan of a high collar to keep the rain out however, our all time favourite secret to rain riding – the silk neck scarf – will remedy this with ease.
3. Sleeves – the cape has sleeves sewn in to the sides meaning additional farbic is used, this increases the bulk of the cape and makes it a little akward to move in.
The cape would be more comfortable without the sleaves.
There is nothing unfashionable or ugly about red! No matter the style, the season, or the cyclist red is hot no matter what!
The Cyclette Pursuit Poncho has the potential to be a bicycle babelicious rain poncho.
We rate it 5/10.
WHERE TO BUY
The Pursuit Poncho retails for $175AUD